When I was growing up I absolutely hated meatloaf. I’ve never been much of a carnivore anyway but… My mom’s meatloaf was barely seasoned and I dreaded it. Then, I went and married a serious carnivore. Honestly, I think he’d be quite happy if meat were the only thing served in this house. My meatloaf is one of his favorite dishes.
This meatloaf is nothing like my mom’s! I enjoy meatloaf now! I’ve been using this recipe for a number of years, and always get rave reviews. If you think you don’t like meatloaf, you have to try this recipe!
Not Your Mama’s Meatloaf
- Prep time; 15 minutes
- Cooking time; 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Serves; 8
1 15oz. can of Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup Water
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 lbs. ground beef
1 Cup Italian Style Bread Crumbs
1/4 Cup fresh herbs (I used thyme, basil, marjoram, and rosemary)
3 Tablespoons dried parsley
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 large green pepper, chopped fine
1 envelope onion soup mix, dry
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine tomato sauce, ketchup, Balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and water in a small bowl. You will need part of the sauce to mix into the meatloaf.
- I used my food processor to chop the vegetables because I’m lazy. I also used my stand mixer to mix the meatloaf. Less work for me! Yay!!! Fit your mixer with the paddle attachment. Place meat, bread crumbs, onions, bell pepper, fresh herbs, parsley, chopped garlic, egg, seasoning, 3/4 Cup of the tomato sauce mixture, and onion soup mix into the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on low speed until well combined. Shouldn’t take more than 1 minute.
- Place meat mixture into loaf pan or form into a loaf shape in a larger pan. Bake for 30 minutes until browned then cover with remaining sauce and bake an additional 45 minutes. Allow meatloaf to stand for 15 minutes after done so it will slice easier.
If you’re chopping and mixing this by hand expect to double the prep time. I love my kitchen power tools!