KitchenAid’s K45SS Classic 250-Watt 4-1/2-Quart Stand Mixer is an exceptional machine. Perfect for kitchens of all sizes, the KitchenAid Classic stand mixer delivers the power and durability to mix large batches. The 4-1/2-quart bowl can hold up to 8 cups of flour, (which translates to as many as 144 cookies or 2 loaves of bread). With a powerful 250-watt motor it won’t strain to mix this amount either. It has a versatile 10 speed control that allows for folding in ingredients on the lowest speed, and whipping air into eggs to make wonderful fluffy meringues on the highest speed. It has a durable, direct drive transmission, and hubs for connecting the other attachments like the pasta maker or the sausage stuffer/meat grinder.
What Comes With It…
It comes with three attachments. There is a flat beater for making batter, meat loaf, and cookie doughs; a wire whip for egg whites, mayonnaise, and more air-infused creations; and a hook for mixing and kneading yeast doughs. All three attachments are solidly constructed and easily secure to the beater shaft with a simple lift and twist. The bowl itself locks tight to the base with a simple turn. It also comes with a complete guide with instructions, mixing tips, and 67 tasty recipes.
- Smooth mixing with planetary action
- Durable and powerful enough for even the heaviest mixing
- Versatility-There are lots of attachments available that make this a true multi-tasker
- Easy clean-up- the finish on the parts make clean-up a breeze
- Saves you time and effort-get other things done while the mixer does the work and accomplish more without the physical effort.
- Health-When you make your own baked good, you control the fat, the sugar, and there are no preservatives going in.
- Better Taste-You won’t believe the difference in taste when you make your own baked goods. A cake made from scratch is infinitely better than a box mix or a purchased cake, and there’s nothing like homemade whipped cream! Even with making meatloaf, the ingredients are distributed more evenly giving you a better tasting product
- No handle on the bowl can make it difficult to hold on to when getting out the finished mix. If you use a piece of the rubberized gripping shelf liner it can help you to hold on to it.
- It doesn’t come with the splash shield and pour spout. I’ve remedied this by starting at a low speed and using a flexible cutting mat rolled up to funnel in the ingredients.
This Classic is more affordable than some of the other KitchenAid models, if you aren’t sure how much you will use a stand mixer this is the perfect choice for you. The bowl holds a smaller volume than some of the other models, but it’s perfect if you are creating meals and treats for an average sized family.
If you are planning to make large volumes of baked goods on a regular basis (such as considering baking professionally), you might want a larger bowl (6 qt.), and a heavier duty motor (350-1000 watt).
I have used the KitchenAid Classic for the last 6 years on a daily basis, and it shows no sign of wear at all. I actually started getting so many requests for my baked goods, after I started using this mixer, that I began a professional baking business.
I used this mixer alone for the first year and was making several batches per day. It met all my needs with no strain or problems. When I did finally upgrade to deal with the volume, I went with a Hobart commercial mixer that can hold a very large quantity.
I still use my Kitchenaid regularly though. Although this is the least powerful machine Kitchenaid makes, it kneads stiff dough (like bagel dough made with high-gluten flour) that would turn your mother’s mix master into a smoking, stinking heap of fried motor components.
I tried several low cost stand mixers before I bought my KitchenAid and double batches of pizza dough killed them (read stinking, smoking, burned up motors). For what I spent on those low cost versions, I actually would have saved money if I had just bought the KitchenAid to begin with.
Machine kneading takes a lot of the effort and variability out of making bread… you never “knead in” too much flour to keep it from sticking to your hands, and the 20 minutes you normally spend working the dough by hand turns into time you can use to clean up the kitchen. It does such a thorough job of kneading it actually accomplishes it in less time than you would take doing it manually.
If you’ve ever tried making bread before you’ll be amazed at just how easy it can be using a stand mixer. No more arms that feel like noodles after kneading your dough.
Having a stand mixer is a real time saver too. I can get most of my clean-up done while the mixer does the work.
The KitchenAid Classic is perfect for…
- Anyone who loves to cook
- People that want to save time in the kitchen
- People that are health conscious and want to control what goes into their food.
- Anyone that wants to accomplish more and work less
- People with disabilities that make the physical mixing and kneading of cooking difficult
- People with small kitchens where space is at a premium.
- Anyone that wants to save money by baking their own products
Quote from Marielle;
I’ve wanted this mixer for years, but didn’t want to spend the money. This is a great deal on Amazon and the mixer performs beautifully !! My friends have had their KitchenAid’s for years without any problems. I just wish the bowl that comes with the mixer had a handle, but I’ve seen that particular bowl very reasonably priced on Amazon. I guess that will be my next purchase !! Happy mixing !!