: This is a cooked frosting that reminds everyone that eats it, of being in Grandma’s kitchen. It forms a nice crust and is easy to work with.
- 1/2-Cup shortening
- 2-Cups sugar
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2/3-Cup milk
- 1/2-teaspoon salt
- 2-teaspoons vanilla
1. Mix all ingredients except vanilla in a large pan
2. Heat to a rolling boil, on medium high heat, stirring frequently
3. Once it’s boiling, turn down the heat to medium and boil for 1 minute without stirring
4. Place pan of frosting in a bowl of ice water.
5. Beat frosting until smooth and of spreading consistency
6. Beat in vanilla
This recipe will frost two 8 or 9-inch layers or one 13×9-inch cake Using a larger pan gives you more surface area, so that when you put it in the ice bath, it will cool and firm up faster
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Microformatting by hRecipe.