Things are starting to heat up around here. Not complaining, the heat is still better than shoveling snow. But… I do start to look for ways to use my oven less during the hot months. In fact, I look for ways to reduce my time in the kitchen overall. I’ve got my vegetable garden going. All the weeding and care of my plants has put a dent in the amount of time I can spend in the kitchen.
I’m normally a stickler for making cakes from scratch, but sometimes you just need a fast, easy recipe. This one won’t heat up the kitchen very much either!
This dessert recipe uses a boxed cake mix for the crust. It only needs to bake for 8-10 minutes so the kitchen stays cooler! You do need to let it chill for at least 2 hours after it’s assembled, so be sure to plan ahead.
This is such a rich, creamy chocolate dessert! No one will ever guess how easy it was to make! With the sweet chocolate crust, tangy raspberry filling, and rich chocolate cream cheese it truly seems decadent!
Decadent Chocolate Raspberry Bars
- Cooking time; 10 minutes
- Active Prep time; 20 minutes
- Chill; 2 hours
- Yield; 6 dozen bars
1 pkg. Devils Food Cake Mix
6 Tablespoons of butter (it needs to be butter not margarine)
1 12-ounce jar of raspberry jam, preferably seedless
2 8oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
1 Cup white chocolate chips
1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 Tablespoons milk
1/2 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 15 x 10 x 1inch baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the cake mix, egg, and butter in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on low speed until the mixture is evenly moistened and crumbly. Dump out on to baking sheet and spread evenly. I used a drinking glass to roll it out more evenly. Place in oven and bake for 6-10 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. It will look dry and puffy when it is done.
- Allow crust to cool for at least 10 minutes. Spread with raspberry jam. The jam will spread easier if it is warmed slightly. You can place the open jar in the microwave for 1 minute to warm it. Stirring it in the jar after microwaving also helps to make it easier to spread. Place jam topped crust in refrigerator while you make the topping.
- Wipe out mixer bowl and add the two packages of cream cheese. Start mixer on low speed then turn up to medium. Add the milk and continue mixing until there are no lumps. Place White Chocolate and Semi-Sweet Chips in a microwavable bowl or cup and heat in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted. Stop mixer and add melted chocolate mixture. Beat at medium speed until well mixed.
- Remove crust from refrigerator and spread with cream cheese mixture getting it as even as possible. Return pan to fridge.
- Place 1/2 Cup semisweet chocolate chips and 2 Tablespoons of butter in micro-safe bowl or cup. Microwave in 20 sec. intervals, stirring after each interval until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Place in baggie with a small hole in the corner for piping, or place in pastry bag fitted with a small holed tip. I used a Hostess-style squiggly line this time. Sometimes I also use a lattice pattern. Be creative! Chill again for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars. Yields 6 dozen bars.