This was an awesome dessert! The tartness of the cranberry curd, coupled with the sweet walnut shortbread crust are in perfect harmony. This isn’t a stand mixer recipe per se, but it was so good I just had to share it with you! The recipe does require a food processor though, to thoroughly blend the ingredients for the crust.
: Christmas Cranberry Curd Dessert Bars
: A festive holiday dessert these Cranberry Bars are a gift for the senses!
- 1 Cup walnut pieces
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- Cranberry curd;
- 1 package fresh or frozen cranberries (12 oz.)
- ½ Cup water
- 1 Cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Mint leaves and dried cranberries for garnish
- Make the crust;
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Line with either waxed paper or parchment. Spray again with cooking spray.
- Put walnuts in the bowl of the food processor. Chop finely. About 15 one second pulses.
- Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt and pulse another 10 times.
- Cut the butter into Tablespoon sized pieces, put in the bowl, and pulse another 25 one second pulses until the mixture holds together.
- Put the crust into the baking dish. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to press out evenly.
- Freeze the crust for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake crust for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned on the edges.
- Cranberry Curd;
- Wash the cranberries.
- Put the cranberries and water into a large pot. Cook, while stirring occasionally, over medium heat until all the cranberries have popped. Should take about 5 minutes.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Put the cranberries into the strainer and use a large spoon or spatula to push the puree through the strainer.
- Allow the puree to cool. Discard the cranberry skins and clean the strainer for the next step.
- Add the sugar, eggs, yolks, lemon juice and salt to the cranberry puree and stir until well combined.
- Put the cranberry mixture back in the saucepan. Cook and stir continuously over medium heat until the curd thickens and registers 150F on a candy thermometer. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Stir until well combined. Pour mixture back through the strainer to remove any remaining seeds or lumps.
- Pour the cranberry curd onto the crust and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes. Curd should be set but still a little jiggly in the middle.
- Cool. Refrigerate before cutting
- To serve;
- Lift the dessert from the pan using the paper as a handle. Cut into 24 squares.
- When ready to serve, dust the top with sifted icing sugar, garnish with mint leaves and dried cranberries.
- Keep refrigerated.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Microformatting by hRecipe.
This was adapted from a recipe I found at