This is the recipe that got me started in the baking business. Once someone tasted it, they told someone else, and so on. Eventually I started making it for a local restaurant that had people coming in just to try a piece of this cake. It’s not a difficult recipe, and it produces a cake that is rich and moist.
- 1. Heat oven to 350F
- 2. Grease and flour baking pan 13x9x2 or two9inch rounds or three 8 inch round layer pans
- 3. Measure out the evaporated milk and mix in the lemon juice. Let stand while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- 4. Measure all remaining ingredients and place in the bowl of your stand mixer. Add the milk mixture from the previous step.
- 5. Beat 30 seconds on low speed to moisten the ingredients. Scrape down bowl as needed
- 6. Beat 3 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally
- 7. Pour evenly into pan(s)
- 8. Bake oblong pan 40-45 min or layers 30-35 minutes. Or, until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
TIP: You can make this cake even more decadent by adding 3/4 Cup chocolate chips to the mix at the end of the mixing time. This cake is great for a 2 or 3 layer cake but is too delicate to use for torting layers (dividing the layers to create more layers)
Frosting and filling recipes are not included in this section. I will add some suggestions and recipes soon.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Microformatting by hRecipe.